What is Gynecomastia (male breast reduction) surgery?
Gynecomastia is a condition of overdeveloped or enlarged breasts in men that can occur at any age. Gynecomastia surgery reduces breast size in men.
Why and How does Gynecomastia Occur?
Gynecomastia occurs for many reasons. The main ones are as follows:
- Hormone disorders such as low testosterone or increase in estrogen,
- arcotic drug use,
- Supplements for bodybuilding,
- Alcohol use,
- Testicular tumours,
- Adrenal gland tumours,
- Malnutrition and excessive weight loss.
Gynecomastia degrees can vary from a small amount of tissue around the breast to evident swelling of the breast.
What are the Symptoms of Gynecomastia?
- Tenderness in the breasts,
- Swelling in the breast tissue,
- Pain in the breasts,
- Discharge in single or both nipple(s),
- One breast is bigger than the other,
- Feeling of a lump under the nipple.
For the accurate diagnosis of gynecomastia, the plastic surgeon should examine the patient, evaluate a mammogram and order some blood tests.
How and with Which Methods Gynecomastia Treatment is Done?
The cause of the disease is determined by the specialist physician, and appropriate gynecomastia treatment is carried out. The patient undergoes a general examination, and his hormones are examined. Gynecomastia is a disease that must be taken into consideration as it is the precursor of many serious diseases. Surgical intervention is required for treatment. These treatment methods, which generally produce successful results, are as follows:
- Excisional Treatment (Tissue Excision) Method: In excisional treatment, which is a method frequently used in gynecomastia surgery, it is entered inside the dark area around the nipple of the patient. Then the excess tissue and skin are removed. The only disadvantage of this easily performed method is that there is a scar around the nipple. This scar is not permanent, but it can disturb the patient because it does not disappear in a short time.
- Liposuction Treatment Method: Another gynecomastia treatment method is liposuction treatment. In this method, the doctor makes 1-2 mm incisions. Excess breast tissue is emptied by the help of thin tubes inserted into the tissue through these incisions. The advantageous aspect of the liposuction treatment method compared to the excisional treatment method is that it does not cause any problems to the patient in terms of leaving a scar. In addition, local anaesthesia is sufficient for liposuction treatment. Therefore, gynecomastia patients can go home after the liposuction treatment. Duration of the procedure varies depending on the size of the breast and the methods used by the surgeons. It usually takes about two hours.
What is the Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery?
It is against the law in Turkey for the healthcare organisations including private practices to indicate prices online for procedures, treatments or consultations. Please contact us by calling or texting ?+90 541 334 3484 (WhatsApp available) or ☏ +90 212 257 1515 for the average cost of the procedure or any other enquiries related to the procedure. You need to send some photos to the Patient Care Coordinator to be examined by Professor Yazar to get the exact all-inclusive price.
Procedure Summary Table
|Procedure||Type of Procedure||Duration of the Procedure||Type of anaesthesia||Duration of Hospitalisation||Back to Work||Healing|
|Aesthetic surgery||1-2 hours||General||1 day||6-7 days||Depends on the patient|
Gynecomastia Frequently Asked Questions
How is the preoperative process in gynecomastia?
Before gynecomastia surgery, the patient should pay attention to the following warnings in order for the healing process to be flawless:
- If the patient is a smoker, he should quit smoking at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
- If the patient is consuming alcohol, he should stop alcohol intake 48 hours before surgery.
- If the patient has recently had a cold, flu or urinary tract infection before the procedure, he should share this information with his surgeon.
- The patient should avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, herbal supplements and food containing vitamin E 7-10 days before the procedure.
What to expect during the recovery period after gynecomastia surgery?
After gynecomastia surgery, the patient may experience mild pain for 1-2 days. Although this pain varies depending on the condition of the patient, a corset should be worn for an average of two weeks. The risk of tissue loss and infection is rare. Antibiotics prescribed by the surgeon are used after surgery to prevent complications that may occur. Thus, the breast tissue adheres to its new location without sagging. If the patient gains too much weight after surgery, an enlargement of the breast may occur again. However, it is not possible for the breast to gain its old appearance again.
Is there a certain age limit for gynecomastia surgery?
It has been observed that the problem of excess breast development in men resolves spontaneously in some patients after adolescence. Although specialists do not specify a specific age limit for gynecomastia surgery, they perform this surgery after 16-18 years of age, considering the psychological problems it causes in men.
What are the risks of gynecomastia surgery?
- Asymmetry (the difference between the two breasts)
- Hematoma (congestion problem under the skin)
- Seroma (fluid retention problem under the skin)
- Nipple necrosis (tissue decay)
Please consult your surgeon to minimise risks of gynecomastia surgery.
Is there a non-surgical alternative to treat gynecomastia?
Although there is no drug targeting directly gynecomastia, some drugs that are used in the treatment of breast cancer may be helpful in the early stages of gynecomastia. If different types of drugs are used in the advanced stages of this disease, it is important to use the drugs continuously for six months.
What is the success rate of gynecomastia surgery?
The biggest factor that increases the chance of success of gynecomastia surgery is to be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon.
You must be logged in to post a comment.