What is Lipoedema and Lipoedema Treatment?
Abnormal swelling that occurs in humans due to excessive lipoidosis and fluid accumulation in the hips, thighs and legs is called “Lipoedema” in medical language. This disease, also called painful lipoidosis syndrome, can sometimes be seen on the arms, although it mostly affects the legs. The degree of lipoedema, which is a chronic adipose tissue disease, differs from person to person. While it may be mild in some patients, it may reach the condition that prevents even walking in others. Lipoedema, which is a genetic disease, is always seen in women. This disease, which usually occurs during adolescence, also has a high chance of being seen in other women in the family.
What are the Symptoms of Lipoedema?
Some chronic diseases, as well as hormonal disorders, can cause lipoedema. Symptoms of lipoedema can be listed as follows:
- Symmetrically excessive lipoidosis occurs in the legs and hips.
- Sometimes the swelling can go down to the ankle, but not seen in feet.
- Bulges arise due to excessive accumulation of fat on the outside of the legs and in the hip region.
- Pain and bruises may also occur in this disease, which is generally seen in women.
What are the Stages of Lipoedema?
It is a disease that progresses day by day. The stages of lipoedema are examined in 4 stages.
- Increased adipose tissue under the skin
- Enlargement in the hypodermis
- The surface of the skin looks flat, along with the fat lobules.
- It has an uneven skin surface with the appearance of adipose tissue.
- There are large fat deposits that cause deformities in the legs and around the knee.
- It is the most advanced level of the disease. Lipolymphedema develops on the legs.
How is Lipoedema Treated?
Lipoedema has many symptoms that negatively affect the daily life of the patient. These can be listed as follows;
- It causes aesthetic irregularity in body contours and leads to deformity.
- It causes limitation of movement, especially in advanced levels of the disease.
- It leads to impaired lymph circulation and increased swelling.
- It causes varicose problems, pain, joint problems.
- It causes the patient to become depressed and withdrawn into oneself.
Lipoedema is a chronic disease. The only remedy for the treatment of lipoedema, which is to control the disease, is the removal of fats. After evaluating the patient and determining the level of lipoedema, the doctor decides the technique to be performed in the surgery by choosing the appropriate treatment method. First of all, a detailed measurement of the regions where liposuction will be applied is taken, and how many cm of each part will be thinned is calculated. Thus, the estimated measurements that the patient will have after the lipoedema surgery are obtained, and the lipoedema corset that the patient will use after the surgery is selected according to these measurements. This corset should be ready before surgery. Because when the surgery is over, the corset is put on the patient before the patient wakes up.
How is Lipoedema Surgery Performed?
Although the cause of this disease, which is little known worldwide, has not been determined precisely, there is evidence that it is genetic. There are many methods in its treatment. Depending on the condition of the patient, the doctor prefers the ideal treatment according to the stage and the location of the disease.
- Superdry liposuction is ideal for lipoedema around the lower leg and knee. It is very advantageous due to the absence of incisions, sutures, and the protection of lymphatics.
- Vaser 4D Liposuction is preferred primarily in the hip and upper leg, but laser liposuction is also frequently used.
- In the treatment of advanced lipoedema patients, stretching will be performed additionally, since sagging will occur after these procedures.
Procedure Summary Table
|Procedure||Type of Procedure||Duration of the Procedure||Type of anaesthesia||Duration of Hospitalisation||Back to Work||Healing|
|Plastic Surgery||1-3 hours||General / Sedation||1 day||6-7 days||Depends on the patient|
Lipoedema Treatment Frequently Asked Questions
It is against the law in Turkey for the healthcare organisations including private practices to indicate prices online for procedures, treatments or consultations. Please contact us by calling or texting 📱+90 541 334 3484 (WhatsApp available) or ☏ +90 212 257 1515 for the average cost of the procedure or any other enquiries related to the procedure. You need to send some photos to the Patient Care Coordinator to be examined by Professor Yazar to get the exact all-inclusive price.
The duration of lipoedema surgery varies between 2 to 5 hours, depending on the procedures. No dressing is needed after surgery. As general anaesthesia is administered, the patient must stay overnight in the hospital. The patient can go home the next day. Before the patient wakes up, she is dressed in a corset and the corset is not removed for five days. On the fifth day, the patient is allowed to take a shower after removing the corset. The corset, which is recommended to be worn both day and night in the first month, is used only during the morning for the following months. Thus, sagging is prevented.
In this disease, it is typical that toes cannot actively move. Although it is generally diagnosed after examination, ultrasound, MRI or lymphoscintigraphy may also be required for detailed analysis.
Those who think that they show signs of lipoedema can make an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon. Detailed information can only be given after the examination.
Diet and exercise provide a decrease in adipose tissue in areas where there is no disease. They are not beneficial in areas where lipoedema is present. Therefore, diet and exercise are not sufficient in the treatment of lipoedema.
Lymphedema massage and lymph drainage methods are generally applied by physiotherapists to reduce edema and pain. Although there is no need for this treatment in the early stages of the disease, these two methods can provide great comfort in the advanced stages.
Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon Professor Yazar is available in his private practice based in Nisantasi, Istanbul for appointments to provide detailed and tailored information on the procedure.