Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon Professor Yazar is available in his private practice based in Nisantasi, Istanbul for appointments to provide detailed and tailored information on the procedure.
What is Breast Reduction?
The aesthetic surgical procedure performed to reduce the size of the breasts of women, which are disproportionate to their body, is called breast reduction surgery. This procedure, also called mammoplasty, is a procedure to remove excess fat, breast gland tissue and skin to accomplish the ideal breast size. Thus, discomfort caused by excessively large breasts is eliminated. Breasts that are too large for the body can cause many problems, both physically and psychologically. This can lead to a variety of problems such as pain, problems in physical activities, or psychological issues.
Even if the breast size does not cause a physical problem, people who are not satisfied with the size of their breasts and feel uncomfortable with this situation may prefer breast reduction surgery for aesthetic purposes.
Before the Breast Reduction Surgery
There are important preparations that should be done before the breast reduction surgery. The patient needs to be well prepared physically for surgery and rapid recovery. The instructions given by the surgeon for both before and after the surgery should be followed. The general preparations before the surgery can be listed as follows:
- Nail polish, accessories, contact lenses, and dental prosthesis should be removed before the operation.
- Taking contraceptive pills should be discontinued two weeks prior to the operation.
- Consuming liquids could be difficult in the bed after the surgery; therefore, it would be better to supply drinking straws.
- Loose clothes that are easy to put on should be provided for the postoperative period. Buttoned or zipped tops are ideal.
- Abounded wet wipes should be available. It is not possible to take a shower until the removal of the sutures, cleaning with these wet wipes will be convenient.
How is Breast Reduction Surgery Performed?
Depending on the situation of the patient, the breast reduction surgery can be performed in a hospital or a clinic. General anaesthesia is used for the surgery and the patient should stay at least one night at the hospital. The duration of the operation ranges between two to five hours. Breast reduction operation starts by extracting the areola (dark ring around the nipple). Then, another incision is made on the breast downwards, similar to a keyhole. Excessive skin, tissue, and fat are removed, and areola is relocated on the breast. After placing the drainage tubes, the sutures are completed, and then the breasts are wrapped with special gauze bandages. Surgical bras are often required following the procedure.
How is the Recovery Process After the Breast Reduction Surgery?
It takes at least one week to return the usual lifestyle after breast reduction surgery. Sometimes this period reaches to two weeks depending on the patient’s condition. Therefore, the patient who would have this surgery should get permission at least ten days from the school or work. It is normal to have pain on breasts and feel tired after the surgery. Painkillers can be prescribed for a few days for the pain following surgery.
What Should be Considered After Breast Reduction Surgery?
There are many issues to be considered in order to speed up the recovery process and not to cause postoperative infection. Some of them can be listed as follows:
- Underwire bra should not be used for one month after surgery.
- It will be convenient if the bra is tied at the front.
- Soft bras should be used for a while after the sutures are removed.
- Physical activities should be avoided for at least one month after surgery, and the patient should keep away from heavy lifting.
- Alcohol, caffeine, and smoking should be avoided as they increase the risk of postoperative infection.
Procedure Summary Table
|Procedure||Type of Procedure||Duration of the Procedure||Type of anaesthesia||Duration of Hospitalisation||Back to Work||Healing|
|Breast Reduction||Aesthetic surgery||1-4 hours||General||1 day||6-7 days||Depends on the patient|
What is the Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery?
It is against the law in Turkey for the healthcare organisations including private practices to indicate prices online for procedures, treatments or consultations. Please contact us by calling or texting 📱+90 541 334 3484 (WhatsApp available) or ☏ +90 212 257 1515 for the average cost of the procedure or any other enquiries related to the procedure. You need to send some photos to the Patient Care Coordinator to be examined by Professor Yazar to get the exact all-inclusive price.
Breast Reduction Frequently Asked Questions
Estetik uygulama öncesi, sırası ve sonrasıyla ilgili sıkça sorulanlar ve cevapları
- Fat necrosis (white-yellow discharge)
- Hematoma (congestion)
- Loss of sensation
- Late recovery
In breast reduction surgery, excess tissues are removed from the lower part of the breast. It is essential to preserve mammary tissues, lactiferous ducts, areola and sensation of the areola. When breast reduction surgery is performed in patients who have had breastfeeding before, there won’t be a problem in breastfeeding their next baby. However, the motivation of the patient is also a very important factor in breastfeeding. It would not be right to give a guarantee for patients who have never had a child and do not know the breastfeeding ritual for not to have any problems related to breastfeeding after the breast reduction surgery. Because having anatomically two breasts is not enough for a woman to breastfeed her baby. It is necessary to inform the patients about the possibility of a decrease in breastfeeding rate. You should discuss all these issues with your surgeon in detail during the consultation.
What is required for proper breastfeeding?
- An adequate anatomical structure of the mammary glands and lactiferous ducts,
- Milk should be produced hormonally
- Baby should suck as it is required
- The mother should be ready to breastfeeding psychologically