Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon Professor Yazar is available in his private practice based in Nisantasi, Istanbul for appointments to provide detailed and tailored information on the procedure.
What is Breast Asymmetry?
Breast asymmetry is defined as a visible volume difference, shape difference, nipple level, and nipple diameter difference between breasts.
What are the Causes of Breast Asymmetry?
- Breast asymmetry may occur when breasts grow during pregnancy and breastfeeding or at the end of the period via not gaining back the previous shape equally.
- Asymmetry problems may arise because of the excess weight reduction or gain since both breasts may not respond to the change equally.
- Asymmetry problems may arise in women who experience volume loss in their breasts due to advancing age.
- Breast asymmetry may occur after surgical interventions due to breast cancer.
- Congenital breast anomalies.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Asymmetry?
- Breasts are of different shapes and sizes.
- One of the breasts did not develop or is underdeveloped.
- One of the breasts is normal, while the other is large or both large and saggy.
- The size or shape of breast areola (the brown coloured area around the nipple) is different.
- The shape and size difference between the breasts are visible.
What are the Discomforts Caused by Breast Asymmetry?
Breast asymmetry causes a lack of self-confidence for women, as well as anxiety, and troubles related to the opposite gender, posture disorder, spinal curvature, and problems in dressing underwear and outerwear.
- The person who loses her self-confidence moves away from social environments.
- The patient does not want to get close to the opposite gender before marriage or during intimacy with the partner.
- Due to the constant effort to camouflage the breasts in the selection of clothes, the patient experiences problems such as not being able to wear the desired clothes.
- Physical and psychological problems arise due to different breast sizes in choosing underwear.
- The psychological trauma caused by the visible breast disproportion, especially in adolescence, adversely affects the person’s entire life.
How is Breast Asymmetry Diagnosed?
Breast asymmetry is diagnosed following the examinations and measurements performed by the specialist and the necessary treatment is applied according to the extent of disproportion and deformity between the breasts.
Before the Breast Asymmetry Surgery
- The first stage before asymmetrical breast surgery is where the patient is examined, and the expectations have been listened to. After the examination, the rate of breast asymmetry is determined with the patient’s complaints.
- The shape of the breast, the condition of the breast skin, the position of the nipple, and the age of the patient are the factors affecting the procedure. The method to be used is decided according to the degree of asymmetry.
- After determining the reduction of the oversize breast or enlargement of the breast with the breast implant, or whether the fat injection alone is sufficient or not, the most appropriate surgical technique is decided.
- Before the operation, breast ultrasound is requested from patients under the age of 40, and breast mammography is requested from patients over the age of 40.
- The use of blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin, should be discontinued at least one-week before the procedure.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption should be discontinued at least one week before the procedure and they should not be used in the recovery period after surgery.
- Jewellery should be removed, make-up should not be used, hair care products such as hair gel should not be used, and comfortable clothes should be kept for postoperative comfort on the day of operation.
- Eating and drinking are ceased six hours before the operation, and the patient should be at the hospital at least one hour before the operation time.
How is Breast Asymmetry Surgery Performed?
The breast asymmetry problem is solved with aesthetic breast surgery. According to the technique to be applied, asymmetrical breast surgery can be performed under local or general anaesthesia. The process takes approximately 30 minutes-2 hours.
If both breasts are small but different in shape, the same shape in both breasts is obtained by breast implant or fat injection method. If one breast is normal and the other one is small, a breast implant or fat injection is applied to the small breast. If one breast is normal and the other one is very large, breast asymmetry is eliminated by breast reduction surgery. If there is nipple asymmetry, nipple aesthetics is performed so that both nipples are in the same position.
In gynecomastia surgery in men, both breasts are brought to the same size with breast reduction or liposuction.
What is the Healing Process Like After Asymmetrical Breast Surgery?
The healing process varies according to the technique applied in asymmetrical breast surgery. The patient returns to daily activities within 1-2 days after breast asymmetry surgery, where only the fat injection is performed. Returning to daily life activities takes one week to ten days if breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lifting or nipple aesthetics involved.
- Pain may be present in the first few days after asymmetrical breast surgery where breast reduction, breast augmentation or breast lifting is performed. This healing process is comfortably completed with painkillers prescribed by the surgeon.
- If the breast augmentation technique is applied, surgical bras should be used to keep the breast silicones in the correct position, and heavy sports and activities should be avoided for a few weeks in line with the recommendations of the surgeon.
- A few days after the operation, the first dressing is done, and the patient can take a shower.
- It is important that those who smoke and use alcohol stay away from these habits in this period to speed up the recovery process.
What is the Cost of Breast Asymmetry Surgery?
It is against the law in Turkey for the healthcare organisations including private practices to indicate prices online for procedures, treatments or consultations. Please contact us by calling or texting 📱+90 541 334 3484 (WhatsApp available) or ☏ +90 212 257 1515 for the average cost of the procedure or any other enquiries related to the procedure. You need to send some photos to the Patient Care Coordinator to be examined by Professor Yazar to get the exact price.
Breast Asymmetry Frequently Asked Questions
The age limit for asymmetrical breast surgery is considered to be 18 because the criteria of the patient’s bone and breast tissue to be stable are sought, but the age limit may be below 18 in cases of psychological traumas.
As with any surgery, asymmetrical breast surgery has risks such as bleeding and infection. Today, these risks are extremely low since the newest technologies are used.